- Decision Points for Choosing Ashley or Kaidan in Virmire
- Consequences of choosing Ashley or Kaidan
When on a mission in Virmire mass effect, you will be faced with several choices with lasting consequences. Not only do you have to argue with Wrex to keep him alive and on your side, you also have to decide which two squadmates to lose permanently: Ashley or Kaidan.
Your decisions affect not only Mass Effect, but both sequels. If you’re trying to decide which characters to save and which ones to sacrifice, we’ve put together a brief guide to the consequences of each decision.
Updated on 15 April 2023: Updated this article to ensure all information is presented.
Decision Points for Choosing Ashley or Kaidan in Virmire
Upon arrival at Virmire’s Salarian camp, Captain Kirrahe will ask one of your team to accompany you to divert Geth’s attention from his team. Both Ashley and Kaidan will volunteer. Don’t panic — this is not the point where you decide who lives and dies.So send whoever you want.
The person you send won’t have access to you for this mission, so don’t send any characters that normally accompany you.
When your team and Captain Kirrahe’s team move, be sure to destroy the Geth Flyers on the northern side of the map. If you don’t, Captain Kirrahe will die.
The real decision point comes laterr, once we planted explosives in Saren’s base. Everyone sent with Captain Kirrahe will send a message that they are immobilized by Geth, so rescue the first character while the others set the bomb.
However, the character with the bomb soon sends a message that he too is under attack. This is a crucial decision point.
The person you decide to rescue will survive Virmire while the others will die, so choose wisely. Once the decision is made, you cannot physically access the character you choose to sacrifice.
Consequences of choosing Ashley or Kaidan
- Lost Equipment: Make sure to get rid of all the good stuff before going to Virmire, as you will lose all equipped gear and weapons to whoever chooses to sacrifice them.
- No More Romance: If you romance Kaidan or Ashley and then choose to sacrifice them, that will naturally end your romance or possible future romances.
- Party role: If you haven’t decided who to lose, you should consider who offers more valuable jobs depending on your needs and your party composition. Sacrificing Ashley loses the Soldier, sacrificing Kaidan loses the Sentinel.
- Survivor’s Guilt: When you return to Normandy, you can talk to your rescuer and they will discuss your decision.
mass effect 2
- Anyone who survives Virmire appears in a minor role in Mass Effect 2, but never joins a squad again, and cannot be romanced (whether or not previously romanced).
- If you loved Kaidan or Ashley in Mass Effect and they survived, their picture will be on your desk in your quarters. This will take a turn if you continue to romance someone else.
mass effect 3
- Anyone who survives Virmire returns as a usable member of the squad. Initially, only one mission. However, depending on the choices you make during this time, you can either die, become a war asset, or become a proper squad member again.
- If you loved Kaidan or Ashley and they survived, they’ll tell you about your past relationship and even ask who you loved in Mass Effect 2 if you weren’t faithful to them.
- Once Ashley/Kaidan becomes a permanent squad member again, they can romance once again, so if you haven’t romanced them before, you can resume your relationship with them or start a new one.
- Once Kaidan becomes a permanent squad member, this time he can romance male Shepards as well as female Shepards.
Next: Mass Effect Legendary Edition Complete Guide and Walkthrough